Mammal Club - Au

Posted by Unknown at 17:19 on Sunday, 17 April 2011

Share

On Monday I went to a Club Fandango event to see a friend's band - Patterns - at one of my favourite small London venues the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town. It was a great night and I'm sure we'll be writing a lot more about Patterns in the future. However as the title of this post suggests, this entry is not about Patterns.


I had to get up at some unholy hour the next morning and so very nearly left the venue before the final act. Luckily I didn't and was able to catch a fantastic performance from Mammal Club. Formed in 2009, this four piece from Newcastle play energetic indie tunes of the interesting variety. There's all sorts going on: synths, neat guitar interplay, intuitive use of technology and a truly captivating front-man in Wilson Astley. They reminded me a bit of Vampire Weekend or Everything Everything but have definitely secured a quite distinct sound for themselves. For the first time in ages, I was actually impressed by a band at a fiver-on-the-door showcase nights. And then soon after Patterns finished another impressive act came along (took you the other way with that one eh?).

The two bands have been touring together recently in the south and I hope to catch them both again soon.  Mammal Club have an upcoming EP entitled simply 'Au', which you can pick up shortly on Everybody's Stalking records or stream it on Soundcloud in the meantime. It's a great listen, but it really can't do justice to their live performance so if you see either on the billing at a venue near you then do check them out. Having said that, I've listened to it every single day this week:

Mammal Club - The Au EP by everybodysstalking

No comments:

Post a Comment