Nedry - Dusk till Dawn Single & Condors EP

Posted by Larry at 20:05 on Monday, 23 May 2011

Share

Released just under a week ago, London-based Nedry's new single, from Dusk till Dawn, is a great way of getting into one of the best little bands I've had the pleasure of discovering over the last few years. I caught them supporting Pure Reason Revolution back in 2010, and despite enjoying PRR immensely, I couldn't help come away thinking Nedry were the real treat of the evening. A great little band playing a superb blend of 2-step/electronic/post-rock dance music that made me dance around and smile like a madman.

Lets start with the new single, as that's what got Nedry on the agenda tonight. Just over a week since it appeared, this great little track indicates a somewhat new direction for the band, and while not a huge departure from Condors, the use of some real thumping percussion really accentuates what is one of their bounciest releases. Ayu Okakita's vocals still soar across the track, calling out 'come to me' in an almost trance-like state. Matt Parker and Chris Amblin, both on guitar and laptop/keyboard, set about with wonderful abandon on this track. The accompanying remix by Ambient Liverpudlians Capac finds the track stretched out, dubstep wobbles creeping in among the sound of falling raindrops. Its rather evocative stuff. Give it a go.



Dusk till Dawn follows on from 2009's superb 'Condors' EP, which represents most of their modest output to date, but is all the sweeter and more satisfying for it. Opening track 'A42' kicks off with a thumping 8-bit sounding beat, sounding intriguing enough, but when Okakika's vocals enter the stage, looped and twisted as they are, I was entranced. I haven't heard anything quite like it, especially with the juicy dubstep wobbles bouncing along beneath her mournful calls forth to skimmed milk and catholic girls. The album follows a suitably beautiful path, with stand-outs including the wonderfully titled 'Squid Cat Battle' where some angry guitars make an appearance and Okakika's voice takes on a more jagged quality, superbly echoing the raging snare and adding a touch of menace to lines like 'when I look into your eyes ... how wonderful, you'll see'. Perhaps my favourite track is 'Apples & Pears', which showcases Okakita to her full capabilities, and is just a gorgeously layered track that allows her to utilise her purring, creeping voice to full effect.

What I can't recommend enough is this band's live show. The video above for 'Dusk till Dawn' is a great little snippet of the lights and sounds you'll enjoy watching these guys live, and you can watch the live video below, but it doesn't do them justice whatsoever. I couldn't tear my eyes away, apart from occasionally looking around to enjoy the spectacle an equally mesmerised audience. They are next performing in London on June 30th at Vibe Bar for the grand total of £5, but have other shows in Cambridge (4th) and, er, Romania (9th). In case your in the neighbourhood.


I'm going to the Vibe gig. I hope you will too.
Condors is available here.
and on itunes, along with Dusk till Dawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment