When we first hear that the leading member of one of our favourite bands has a solo project, I think we all have that sceptical feeling as to why they would ever have another project on the side when they’re a part of something far greater. That was my initial thought when I first heard about City and Colour, but quickly changed my opinion after listening to the first two albums and now the new release, ‘Little Hell’.
City and Colour is the result of Dallas Green’s library of acoustic material while touring with his longstanding band, Alexisonfire – yes, I like them – and deciding to release it after a multitude of requests from fans; and I’m thankful for those requests. Those who presume the material to be a collection of angst-ridden punk rock songs that would only appeal to an emotionally immature 15 year old, will quickly be surprised to hear the mature sound of great songwriter that I would honestly compare to someone like Bon Iver. Both emotionally evocative and melancholic, and moving away from the morose sound of his other project, the albums are well composed with a variety of styles and a great hint of folk that really helps the listener – without trying to sound too cliché – escape in the music; this theme certainly hasn’t changed with the new album, ‘Little Hell’, either.
The emotional theme with the folk and country influence is still inherent in the new album, but moving away from a purely acoustic route and incorporating a more electric feel without hindering the quality of the music. Having now listened to the album from start to finish, I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed. City and Colour’s music is constantly developing from what started as a side project to a name that is overshadowing Alexisonfire. I think that’s made clear after selling out the Royal Albert Hall in April and now selling out the Roundhouse for his tour in October of this year.
I don’t think ‘Little Hell’ will supersede ‘Bring Me Your Love’ for me personally, but I’m glad to hear that he’s constantly developing his sound with new styles, but still holding true to the core of why so many love his music. Give it a listen and let us know what you think...
Spotify: Little Hell by City and Colour
City and Colour is the result of Dallas Green’s library of acoustic material while touring with his longstanding band, Alexisonfire – yes, I like them – and deciding to release it after a multitude of requests from fans; and I’m thankful for those requests. Those who presume the material to be a collection of angst-ridden punk rock songs that would only appeal to an emotionally immature 15 year old, will quickly be surprised to hear the mature sound of great songwriter that I would honestly compare to someone like Bon Iver. Both emotionally evocative and melancholic, and moving away from the morose sound of his other project, the albums are well composed with a variety of styles and a great hint of folk that really helps the listener – without trying to sound too cliché – escape in the music; this theme certainly hasn’t changed with the new album, ‘Little Hell’, either.
The emotional theme with the folk and country influence is still inherent in the new album, but moving away from a purely acoustic route and incorporating a more electric feel without hindering the quality of the music. Having now listened to the album from start to finish, I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed. City and Colour’s music is constantly developing from what started as a side project to a name that is overshadowing Alexisonfire. I think that’s made clear after selling out the Royal Albert Hall in April and now selling out the Roundhouse for his tour in October of this year.
I don’t think ‘Little Hell’ will supersede ‘Bring Me Your Love’ for me personally, but I’m glad to hear that he’s constantly developing his sound with new styles, but still holding true to the core of why so many love his music. Give it a listen and let us know what you think...
Spotify: Little Hell by City and Colour

No comments:
Post a Comment