*shels - Plains Of The Purple Buffalo

Posted by Unknown at 22:29 on Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Share

The grammatically confusing *shels are a post-rock/metal band based in the UK. They self-released their first album Sea Of The Dying Dhow in 2007 and have just released the follow up Plains Of The Purple Buffalo to a baying fan-base. First impressions of the record have been extremely high amongst my highly trusted sources (namely ATPR) so this evening I've decided to sit down, listen to it cover to cover and write my thoughts as I go. Listen along with me [will open Spotify].

The album starts out with the track 'Journey to the Plains', which after an immediately likeable first couple of minutes, launches in to an ear shattering five minute tirade - in a good way. Things quickly calm down with the drawing track 'Plains Of The Purple Buffalo (Part 1)'; a beautiful 3 minute number that tees the dynamic up for the second barrage of the album, 'Plains Of The Purple Buffalo (Part 2)'. Well I say "barrage", but what I'm quickly learning about *shels is that they like climax building sandwiched by dynamic extremes. What's more, we seem to have some fairly questionable vocals going on here.

I'm also quickly learning that my personal preference of *shels leans towards their lower end of dynamism. The fourth track 'Searching For Zihautanejo' would benefit greatly from the removal of clichéd heavy sections; both in all round general improved listening, and also in duration. This album is an hour in length, and I'm detecting a lack of brevity 25 minutes in. My attention drifts back in to focus with the track 'Atoll' - again from the paler palette of *shels. However this proves to be a short-lived interlude, taking us to the middle of the record and middle of the road track 'Butterflies On Luci's Way'.

At this point, my attention is seriously beginning to wane. A quick glance at the remaining tracks shows me only 1 dips below 5 minutes. What looks like a mountain proves to be and I struggle the make the end of the album. I hasten to remind you that the above is a running commentary of me typing my mind as I listen to this record for the first time. With more consideration and perhaps if the music pandered to my personal persuasion more, I'm sure that 'Plains of the Purple Buffalo' is a half-decent album. I'm certain that some people will thoroughly enjoy it. Musical preferences aside, the album could most definitely stand to lose about 75% in duration, a catalogue of stereotypes and a whole heap of blasé repetition; focusing more on the subtleties that the band are clearly adept at. Tracks like 'Atoll' and 'Walking' are - for me - far more interesting than another 9 minute power ballad displaying your "epic" prowess.

No comments:

Post a Comment