End Of The Road 2011 - Review

Posted by Unknown at 19:25 on Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Share

Whilst I'm still reeling in the euphoric hangover from End Of The Road Festival 2011, I thought I'd jot down some highlights hindsights. This year's EOTR was a noticeable up-size from last year's, with potentially a 100% increase in size, scale and attendance. They had introduced a new main stage, increased the campsite size dramatically and had made getting in to the festival site an arduous struggle. Nonetheless I still found myself almost perpetually thinking "Well isn't this lovely" - no charm has seemingly been sacrificed.
In correlation with the increase in capacity, they managed to bring in a stellar array of bands and EOTR's line-up now surely rivals that of any other English festival. I don't think I saw a single set in it's entirety during the whole weekend because there was always something else worth seeing on. Not to say that clashes were frequent: the stage planning was immaculate. I think it would have been possible to see a decent chunk of every single artist there if you so desired. As a slight caveat, I would say that the music ended a bit too early. I get that they want to maintain the 'family' vibe (I've literally never seen so many babies), but the headliners would tend to round up the evening's entertainment well before midnight. They should have held off a few second choice artists for some late night rocking. For example, how about putting Wooden Shjips and The Black Angels on after Mogwai. Audience numbers and audience state of minds would have been higher. On the Friday, White Denim followed Beirut and fucking rocked the place.

As with any live performance, there are always going to be some surprises and some disappointments. There are also going to be some acts that deliver upon high expectations. My top picks from the weekend are Tune Yards, White Denim, Bob Log III, Wild Beasts, Willy Mason, Timber Timbre and Midlake. I was pleasantly surprised by both Mogwai and The Black Angels having been disappointed the last time I saw them. Despite being a huge fan, I unfortunately found it hard to really get in to Joan As Police Woman and Beirut were also disappointing. I'm slightly peeved at missing The Walkmen, Josh T Pearson (it rained!), and She Keeps Bees. Joanna Newsom sent me to sleep - in a good way.

I'm sure I'll be back next year and would defy anyone to attend and have a bad time. Whilst the festival has ballooned in size and stature, there is still something magical about it. It's not like you can like on the grass and watch the baby peacocks at Reading.

P.S. More like Emmy the not so Great! Ha! Words.



No comments:

Post a Comment