End Of The Road 2011 - Final headliner slot

Posted by Unknown at 13:54 on Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Share

For 15 hours in September 2010, I stood in a field in Dorset directing people where to park their cars. In exchange for this, I attended what has become a firm festival favourite of mine: End Of The Road. Yesterday - what with being a big wig corporate now as opposed to a plebeian student - I scraped together enough coppers to buy a fully fledged ticket for EOTR 2011. I am excite.

Already confirmed to headline are Beirut and Mogwai, with notable appearances from Midlake, The Walkmen and Wild Beasts. The folks at EOTR have stated that the third headliner - who will be a UK festival exclusive - will be officially announced this Friday, leaving all ticket holders and potential buyers in feverish suspense. I kind of like it. Therefore, I thought I'd (along with lots of help from this thread) wager my two-cents on who could possible fit the bill for the third slot.

We know who it can't be out of the likely lads. It can't be Explosions in the Sky (Green Man), The Low Anthem (Green Man), Bright Eyes (T In The Park), Sufjan Stevens (The Great Escape), Pulp (Wireless), The National (Lattitude)... Even as I type, My Morning Jacket are announced at Lattitude. I originally thought of Battles, but they're of course playing ATP's Nightmare Before Christmas: does this count as a festival? Similarly, Beach House are playing ATP in May. Which leaves...
  1. The Decemberists: Recently released a new album, not touring in Europe let alone UK but playing plenty of shows up until the end of August. Would fit fairly nicely in to the line up and the right sort of callibre.
  2. PJ Harvey: Playing loads of shows at the moment, including touring Europe throughout Summer. Playing in Ireland as close as 2nd September. Local lass: + 5 bonus points.
  3. Spiritualized: Not that busy at the moment, although they're playing Ladies & Gentlemen in full at The Royal Albert hall in October. I'd personally be stoked if they fill the final headline but I think it's unlikely. Spiritualized and Battles both confirmed for Standon Calling 5 minutes after I finish this post.
  4. The Pixies: Classic festival band - a personal favourite whom I've (amazingly) never seen live. Would rip it up; although possibly in a way that doesn't suit the vibe of EOTR.
  5. Neil Young: Would please almost everyone. Is he too big to play EOTR? I'd hope not.
  6. ...Radiohead?: Is this...is this possible? Phil Selway played a solo set last year and seemed to enjoy himself. They've obviously released a new album recently (physically out at the end of this month) without any supporting shows. Not booked to play any festivals either this year yet; which seems weird. I'm not sure that EOTR are likely to have secured Radiohead on an album release year though.
There are of course many other possibilities and I've most likely omitted the final artist. If you've got any further suggestions, stick them in a comment. If I really had to come down on a decision, I'd say Pixies isn't a bad shout. Personally, Decemberists and PJ would be a slight disappointment. Neil Young would be incredible and I've got that warm fuzzy feeling about EOTR's booking capabilities. If I'm right, you owe me a cider: don't say you don't, you do.

2 comments:

Barto said...

Destroyer.

Stu said...

I find it really difficult to listen to hype about Radiohead maybe playing EOTR. Why would they want Radiohead? They will sell their tickets with ease and to have a band like Radiohead at a 5000 person festival would ruin it. Might as well get Coldplay along.

Remove the bottom three and hope, like me, it's Calexico

Post a Comment