I'm too embarrassed to recommend this artist to people face-to-face because to be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure how to pronounce the name. It'd be like that scene in Spinal Tap where that bloke's wife wants them to mix the record in "doubly". So I've hidden behind the sheath of the world wide web to bring you this endorsement; pretty cunning I thought.
Toro y Moi is the moniker of one man band Chazwick Bunswick (which is equally awkward to slip in to conversation). Last.Fm tags it as 'chillwave' which, whilst a pretty horrific adjective, is quite apt to describe this guy's sound. I've only really got up close and personal with his latest LP 'Underneath The Pine' and so can't vouch for the back catalogue, but this record is pretty secure in my top 10 for 2011. It's a beautiful collection of down-tempo music to suit a Sunday afternoon. In fact, do me a favour and don't listen to this record until tomorrow. Then drop me a line and we can discuss how to pronounce his alias.
He's playing alongside good friends of ours Patterns at the multi-venue mini festival Stag & Dagger in London on May 19th. You can buy tickets here for £12.50. Bargain mate.
Toro Y Moi – Underneath The Pine [Will open Spotify]
TORO Y MOI - Divina by DISCOprep

No comments:
Post a Comment