Wolf People

Posted by Unknown at 18:03 on Sunday, 6 March 2011

Share

If you've engaged me in a conversation about music recommendations at some point in the last 6 months, I probably mentioned Wolf People repeatedly until you got bored and walked away. Therefore I thought it was only apt that I sing their worthy praises on the world wide web.

Steeple - released in 2010 - was the first full length LP from the British four piece and quickly established a residency on my stereo. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single track is a belter; with a mixture of intricate guitar inter-play, folk-like vocal melodies and good old fashioned riffs. Wolf People don't try to re-invent the wheel but instead deliver their own take on early 70's psychedelic rock. So, I guess technically there isn't really anything ground breaking about this band but that hardly matters when it sounds this good. I also recently had the pleasure of seeing them live and wasn't in the least bit disappointed.

Whilst comparisons can be drawn between Wolf People and, say, Jethro Tull; I'm always reminded strongly of Black Mountain when I listen to Steeple. This is hardly surprising considering both artists are on the Jagjaguwar label. I also can't help but think that Wolf People are the British version of Tame Impala; a likeness that does neither band any harm. However, Wolf People's uniqueness comes from the way they marry psych riffs with a sense of folk-rock: the lyrics in 'Morning Born' sound like they could be sung by some street-artist with a lute on the south bank.

If you're itching to catch Wolf People live, they're playing with Blood Ceremony at Borderline in April.

Listen to Steeple on Spotify (will open application).





No comments:

Post a Comment