When Output Records ceased to exist, a bunch of fairly prolific merry musician-men were turfed out with nowhere to go. One of those was Luke Abbott - a young IDM artist from Norfolk. Luckily for both him and us, he was picked up by James Holden's Border Community label, and last year released his first full length record Holkham Drones.
The first time I heard Luke Abbott, I was certain I was being played new material from Nathan Fake that had slipped past my ever faithful habit of keeping up to date with Nathan's activity. Indeed, the similarities between Abbott and Fake stretch further than the fact that they both hail from Norfolk and currently reside on Border Community: they both display a very distinct style of IDM, electro, glitch and minimal-techno that is simply fantastic.
Holkham Drones is a truly stunning piece of work that I promise will please the 'Warp generation'. Abbott's ability to meld hypnotic repetitiveness with transient synths that fluctuate from the ambient to the gratingly glitch is spectacular, and I'm beginning to think that Luke may becoming an unrivalled champion of the next wave of IDM artists. This is frankly one of the best records I have ever heard. Please listen to it.
Luke Abbott – Holkham Drones [Will open Spotify]

No comments:
Post a Comment