Tune Yards - W H O K I L L

Posted by Unknown at 18:12 on Sunday, 5 June 2011

Share

Tune-Yards - or to be more hideously accurate 'tUnE-yArDs' - is the moniker of New England-based musician Merrill Garbus. Her second album released earlier this year W H O K I L L has justifiably grabbed the attention of many and posts just like this one are ubiquitous in blog land. Following a debut that was recorded on a dictaphone in her bedroom, W H O K I L L is a record of bizarre, experimental and tribal songs that you won't forget in a hurry. You're never sure what's quite going on; all you know is that you like it.


Although W H O K I L L has lost the much loved DIY feel of Bird-Brains, it is definitely a much more well rounded sound and marked improvement. What Garbus hasn't lost however is her brutally frantic style. Thunderous rhythms, chopped up brass and belting vocals all feature in spades culminating in a categorically one-of-a-kind sound. If I had to draw comparisons then Dirty Projectors wouldn't be far off. W H O K I L L is a stunning achievement for a solo-artist and whilst she has to employ some help on-stage, her live performances are supposed to be something of a one-man-band spectacle.

W H O K I L L is bold, brash and bonkers: a huge development on her earlier work and set to be one of my favourites of 2011.



Tune-Yards – W H O K I L L [Will open Spotify]

No comments:

Post a Comment