Now that we're a matter of weeks away from what is frankly one of the best festivals in the UK - End Of The Road - I thought I'd give you my top three tip-offs for your weekend's stage-planning-itinerary, which you are all undoubtedly scribbling in your diaries. That isn't of course to suggest that no-one else bar me has heard of these acts; merely a quick nod unto some potentially overlooked gems. I'd rather avoid the most obvious bands playing at EOTR2011 in these posts as that rather devalues the exercise. Instead I'll pick out three acts that you may not have already ring-fenced and attempt to persuade you otherwise.
So, first up on this weekly instalment has to be White Denim. No stranger to praise from other blogs and BBC 6 Music, you'd be less than surprised to learn that these guys originally hail from the musical mecca that is Austin, Texas. Rather than let that tickle your hipster bias, I suggest you fire up their 2011 record D immediately and let the music do the talking. Lines can easily be drawn between D and contemporary artists such as Wolf People, Tame Impala or even My Morning Jacket; whilst simultaneously holding dear a musical structure and sound that resembles legendary musicians such as Pink Floyd - particularly on the track Street Joy.
And in the interest of brevity, I think that's all I'll say on the matter. I've never seen White Denim live - although I've been desperate to for some time - so I can't vouch performance wise. I'm not even going to give you a further word on D. Instead I'll just leave these posts here as a bit of a tip-off for something you may have otherwise overlooked. If you are at all dissatisfied with my recommendations, then please, please feel free to email me (or track me down at EOTR) to project your concerns.

No comments:
Post a Comment