End Of The Road 2011 - Top tip 2/3

Posted by Unknown at 21:55 on Thursday, 18 August 2011

Share

My second recommendation for the weekend after next comes in the shape of a young man who actually foots the bill when filtered by stature and alphabet. That young man is 'Young Man', fronted by the young Colin Caulfield, whose first album Boy is just stunning. Don't let the youth references mislead you: Young Man's music is mature beyond his biological years, with melodies dripping in prowess.

This is the second recommendation that comes without any warrant of prior live viewing. I simply stumbled upon Young Man through the EOTR Spotify playlist that we set up a number of months back. Since then I've been relentlessly flicking through the artists, culminating in this here list. Which - may I remind you - overlooks a number of what I would consider 'obvious' candidates for your weekend, in the hope that you may experiment with new music in good faith.

At the risk of sounding like a clichéd blogger, Young Man often reminds me of Animal Collective. But the musical stomping ground spreads further than that, with hints of Syd Barrett occasionally creeping through. Young Man is another fine (and increasingly rare) contemporary example of young men turning the reverb to 11 whilst not sounding like a total hipster dick. I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing him on the Saturday at End Of The Road, if not before at The Lexington in Angel on the 30th.

Here's the fantastic video for the track Five directed by Sonia Levy, and below that you can stream the whole record on Soundcloud.



Boy by Young Man

No comments:

Post a Comment