LITE - Past, Present, Future

Posted by Unknown at 20:54 on Monday, 26 March 2012

Share

For my first post in a while, I'd like to draw your attention to the new record from one of my favourite Japanese bands, LITE. The group appear to be calling it a 'mini album' - it comes in at just under twenty minutes and is made up of five tracks. The first three of which will be familiar to old faithful's of the band; combining fast, punch math-rock guitar with clever song arrangement and tessellating layers. The last two tracks on the album include vocals and head down a more experimental and, dare I say it, poppy theme.

I am not dismayed by Past, Present, Future but I am certainly not bowled over by the apparent new direction that the group are taking. At the risk of sounding selfish; I'm also a little underwhelmed by the two year wait for a 20 minute release. LITE have set the bar of expectation fairly high with their previous albums - particularly Phantasia which was released in 2008 - and upon early reflections it looks like the latest attempt falls short of the mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment